What is National Hydration Day?
National Hydration Day became a holiday in 2016 to honor Victor Hawkins, a youth football coach and inventor of FuelGard Electrolyte Tablets. Hawkins partnered with SafetGard to create a mouthguard that holds the tablets to keep athletes hydrated while on the field. June 23 marks the anniversary of Coach Hawkins's passing and was chosen as the best day to observe the importance of hydration.
The importance of staying hydrated
Did you know that our bodies contain 60% water? So, most people need to drink eight glasses of water per day to function at their peak, depending on heat and activity level. So, when it's hot out in the summer months, we need to be more aware of this to prevent dehydration.
Many people are not aware that some serious and even severe health issues can easily be avoided by drinking enough water. Some minor symptoms of dehydration include dry skin, feeling dizzy, tired, thirsty, dark yellow urine. More severe health concerns include urinary tract and kidney infections, heatstroke, seizures, and even death.
Skineez Hydrates your skin
It's also essential to hydrate your skin externally with moisturizers. Skineez Skin-Reparative makes it easy with our hydrating clothing. Our socks, capris, gloves, and sleeves are infused with multiple ingredients to hydrate your skin including,
- Shea Butter
- Vitamin E
- Rosehip oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
Ways to liven up water
Some people don't like the taste of water. If you are one of them, here are several ways to give it more flavor or add variety.
- Citrus-Lemon, lime, orange, and pineapple are excellent choices.
- Berries-Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries are healthy treats that taste good in a glass of water.
- Sliced cucumber is not as sweet and gives water a refreshing taste.
- Mint is cool and refreshing on a hot day. It also mixes well with lemon or cucumber.
- Add a splash of juice. Juice can be high in calories, but if you add a splash to your water, it cuts calories and tastes great.
- Drink sparkling water. Many brands of sparkling water come in different flavors, which make them a quick and easy alternative.
- Make herbal tea. Numerous tea varieties have significant health benefits, but caffeine dehydrates, so stick with herbal or caffeine-free tea.
As we remind ourselves of the importance of hydration and how to stay hydrated, this can be the perfect time to start the habit of drinking enough water throughout the day.
Read more about the Importance of Hydration for the Skin.