What are compression socks?
Compression socks are designed specifically to help blood flow and to provide comfort. They belong to a group of garments made of medical-grade materials that fit firmly onto the skin. The primary purpose of compression socks is to improve blood circulation, but they also reduce discomfort.
You have probably heard how good elevating the feet can be for the heart and circulation. Even if we elevate our legs during sleep, sometimes that is not enough to prevent discomfort during the day. If that is the case, you should consider getting compression socks. The reason for this is because compression keeps your veins busy and boosts your blood flow.
Among the whole industry of compression garments, such as tops, shorts, or leggings, socks are the most widely used ones. Poor blood circulation can be a problem among people of all ages. We spend most of our days sitting and standing, so you can imagine the pressure we put on our feet.
Who should wear compression garments?
As we said, there are a lot of different pieces of clothing with compression abilities. Medical grade compression garments for men are usually shorts and stockings, and for women, there are also capris or yoga pants. So, the question is: who can benefit from these garments?
Professional athletes wear compression garments to apply pressure to their muscles. The pressure helps blood to flow better during exercising and maintain stability. It is popular among runners because it allows for better performance and faster recovery after the run. They are excellent help with leg cramps as well. Of course, you don't have to be a professional runner to feel the benefits of compression stockings. They are great for anyone who likes to walk, bike ride or works out at the gym from time to time.
Just about anyone who works
Prolonged sitting or standing, especially in one place or position, puts a lot of pressure on our legs. Having compression socks can ease discomfort and reduce swelling.
Most of the jobs that are out there put a lot of pressure on the feet. Whichever job you have, if you work more than 2 hours without changing position or resting, your body gets tired.
Just wearing compression stockings around the house makes a significant difference.
So, if you are thinking about getting a pair, but you are not sure, the only question to consider is: how do you choose the right type for yourself?
Types of compression socks and how to choose the right pair
There are different types of compression socks, depending on the level of pressure they provide. This level is measured in mmHg, which stands for millimeters of Mercury. There is a range starting from 10 mmHg and going up to 60 mmHg. So, what is the right level of compression for you?
- 10-15 mmHg is a very gentle and mild compression. It is perfect for those who experience minor discomfort or pain, for swollen or tired feet after a long day. They are perfect for work and around the house. If you are not experiencing trouble, these are the best compression socks for standing all day.
- 15-20 mmHg is the most used level of compression. It is light but with therapeutic effects. This is most used among travelers during long flights or sits in cars. Also, it is recommended for pregnant women.
- 20-30 mmHg are for those who suffer more than occasional swelling and pain, those who suffer from symptoms of dysautonomia. Also, they are suitable for treating milder problems with varicose veins.
- 30-40 mmHg is for more severe discomfort. It is recommended after surgery or in more serious cases of varicose veins.
- 40-50 mmHg for severe varicose veins and swelling.
- 50-60 mmHg is for cases of Post-thrombotic syndrome or similar to that.
Where to buy compression socks?
Skineez has its little collection of medical-grade compression socks. In our catalog, you can find 10-20 mmHg medical-grade compression socks. We put a lot of effort and love into making these the best for your legs, and we think you're going to love them! Our technical fibers allow us to combine this wide compression range because they suit most needs.
You can shop in our online store or find some of our compression socks in Walmart! We have many different colors for you to choose from and pair with your favorite shoes and clothes.
Who says stylish cannot be comfortable?