What are compression socks?
Compression socks are specially designed to help blood flow and to provide comfort. They belong to a group of garments made of medical-grade materials that fit firmly onto the skin. The main purpose of compression socks is to improve blood circulation, but also to reduce discomfort. Tight compression prevents the pooling of blood in your feet and helps it stay in motion.
You have probably heard how good elevating the feet can be for the heart and circulation. Even if we do elevate our legs during sleeping, sometimes that is not enough for preventing discomfort during the day. If that is the case, you should consider getting compression socks. This is because the compression keeps your veins busy and boosts the blood flow.
Among the whole industry of compression garments, such as tops, shorts or capris; socks are the most wide spread ones. Poor blood circulation is an ample problem among people of all ages. We do spend most of our days sitting and standing, so you can imagine the pressure we put onto our feet.
Who should wear compression garments?
As we said, there are a lot of different pieces of clothing with compression abilities. Medical grade compression garments for men are usually shorts and stockings, and for women, there are also capris or yoga pants. So, the question is: who can benefit from these garments?
Professional athletes wear compression garments to put pressure on their muscles. The pressure helps blood to flow better during exercising and maintain stability. It is popular among runners because it helps faster recovery after the run. Of course, you don’t have to be a professional runner to feel the benefits of compression stockings. They are a great companion even if you like to jog or exercise from time to time.
Desk and counter workers
Long sitting or standing, especially in one place or position puts a lot of pressure on our legs. Having compression socks can ease discomfort and reduce swelling. Just wearing them around the house would make a great difference.
The truth is, there is not one soul who would not enjoy compression stockings. Some need it a lot, and some don't seem to notice problems, but we all experience some level of discomfort. Most of the jobs that are out there put a lot of pressure on the feet. Whichever job you have, if you work more than 2 hours without changing position or resting, your body gets tired.
So, if you are thinking about getting a pair, but you are not sure it would be good for you - it will. There is no doubt about that. The only question to consider is: how to choose the right type for yourself?
Types of compression socks and how to choose the right pair
There are different types of compression socks depending on the level of pressure they provide. This level is measured in mmHg which stands for millimeters of Mercury. There is a range starting from 10 mmHg and going up to 60 mmHg. So, what is the right level of compression for you?
- 10-15 mmHg is a very gentle and mild compression. It is perfect for those who experience minor discomfort or pain; for swollen or tired feet after a long day. They are perfect for work and around the house. If you are not experiencing a lot of trouble, these are the best compression socks for standing all day.
- 15-20 mmHg is the most used level of compression. It is light but with therapeutic effects. This is most used among travelers during long flights or sits in cars. Also, it is recommended for pregnant women.
- 20-30 mmHg are for those who suffer more than occasional swelling and pain, cold feet and medium to high discomfort. Also, they are good for treating lighter problems with varicose veins.
- 30-40 mmHg is for more severe discomfort. It is recommended after surgery or in cases of heavier problems with varicose veins.
- 40-50 mmHg for severe varicose veins and swelling.
- 50-60 mmHg is for cases of Post-thrombotic syndrome or similar to that.
Where to buy compression socks?
Skineez has its little collection of medical-grade compression socks. In our catalog, you can find 10-20 mmHg medical-grade compression socks. We put a lot of effort and love in making these to be the best for your legs and we think you’re going to love them! We chose these two levels of compression because they are suitable for everyone and they are the best to start with if you have problems.
You can shop in our online store, or you can find our compression socks in Walgreens! We have a lot of different colors for you to choose from and pair with your favorite shoes and clothes.
Who says stylish cannot be comfortable?